When I decided to start this company in November of 1999, it was based on the belief that I could provide my clients with hands-on attention in a team setting. Big, was not necessarily better. After creating a successful “big-city” Public Relations firm, I knew the mechanics of doing publicity, but I wanted to take it to a higher level–a more intimate level. With that said, Coats Public Relations was born.
If I had to define our niche, I would classify it as “lifestyle information.” Demographically speaking, the purchase of luxury items such as sports and concert tickets and a high-priced bottle of wine, are being done by the same person. Coats Public Relations publicizes lifestyle choices, ranging from music events, retail products, wine-artistry, dining, hotels, and radio stations to non-profit organizations, with an emphasis on pubic assemblage.
Results-oriented, market-to-market campaigns:
Because of our extensive experience in the fast-paced world of entertainment, Coats Public Relations is able to take your project, idea or travel schedules and plug in that much needed press component. Whether it is a lunch with a local writer or a television and/or radio interview, our experience at market-to-market connections can make for a successful market stop.
Over the years, our company has cultivated extensive national media contacts in broadcasting, newspapers and magazines in the consumer, business, and trade arenas. We feel confident that Coats Public Relations can deliver the coverage your company or project needs to create that much needed “buzz.”
A great example is our current work with Destination Races, a Sonoma-based company that produces half marathons in Kelowna, BC, Virginia, Santa Barbara, Oregon, Healdsburg, Napa-Sonoma and now Temecula wine countries.
Events & Promotions:
Coats Public Relations has had the privilege to produce or promote a number of topflight events and projects.
- 28th Annual B.R. Cohn Charity Fall Music Festival and Celebrity Golf Classic
- Conservation International benefit at Landmark Vineyards featuring Harrison Ford
- The annual California Music Awards and the Bammies
- Sonoma Wine Country Weekend
- Opening of Sony’s Metreon in San Francisco
- CBS Radio/Alice @97.3 Now and Zen Festival in Golden Gate Park
- The Great Race cross-country car rally
- San Francisco’s Black & White Ball
- CBS Radio /Live 105 “BFD” & “Not So Silent Night” Concerts
- The City of Oakland’s Art & Soul Festival
- Los Lobos and Jefferson Starship concerts benefiting Sonoma Valley Schools
- Sonoma County Showcase of Wine & Food
- New Orleans by the Bay
- J Garcia/Clos du Bois wine launch
- Doobie Brothers Special Events
- Sonoma Jazz +
- Sonoma Community Center Winter Concert Series 2014
- Jazz Aspen Snowmass
- Justin-Siena Wine Auction
Like us, many of our clients have a charity component and like to pay it forward. Many of the events above raised money for charity, the B.R. Cohn Fall Festival has raised over $6 million for kids and vets. The Ledson Harmony Foundation has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for youth related charities, primarily through special wine releases with celebrities such as Michael McDonald, Jeff bridges, Dwight Clark and Orlando Cepeda. Our current client Golden Gate Salmon Association fights the good fight for fresh water in order to keep jobs and iconic and native Chinook salmon wild. The Sonoma Valley Education Foundation a long-time synergy between our organizations, funds great programs that otherwise wouldn’t be.
Restaurants and hospitality:
Coats Public Relations has extensive knowledge of the hospitality industry and has managed the publicity campaigns of numerous successful restaurant openings including:
- Glen Ellen Star
- Centre du Vin
- HopMonk Tavern
- Gordon Biersch
- Sonoma Meritâge
- The 60th Anniversary of Ernie’s in San Francisco
- Ledson Hotel on Sonoma’s Historic Plaza
With its success in the entertainment and hospitality industries firmly established, the segue into the promotion of luxury items became a natural progression for Coats Public Relations.
- Bacchus Glass, the only complete large-scale production blowing facility in Sonoma County became an established client. Using his event-planning know-how, Coats has been instrumental in promoting the unique art-glass experience into a performance art event.
- Bonjour Fleurette, a fanciful footwear company, has received national television recognition from The Oprah Show, and NBC’s Today Show, among numerous others, as well as on local television segments. They have also been featured on the pages of magazines and newspapers throughout the country including Vogue, Women’s Day and The Washington Post, as well as publicly adorned the feet of famous celebrity icons.
In this fast-paced Internet world, where information seekers surf the web daily, Coats Public Relations makes it a point to get your project in front to these cyber purchases and travelers. Allison Coats leads the charge in this all important segment of the media.
We understand this vast communication maze and we continuously monitor the web for new and potential resources for our clients.
Michael Coats has had many years in this critical and high-pressure area of media exposure. As such, he understands if handled correctly, a crisis can be turned into an opportunity. Coats Public Relations takes a pro-active stance to reinforce your favorable image and to broadcast a strong, positive message. We work closely with our client’s designated spokesperson, or if needed, become the spokesperson, to minimize any potential damage and to maximize positive exposure.